Monday, July 25, 2005

Pie for breakfast!

Why do I do it? Yes, I know the invitations are all well-meaning and, really, I love going to parties - but why would I agree to go to THREE of them in one weekend. Oh, but I just couldn't say no! Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and finally Sunday evening! And all pot-lucks. But, alas, I came up with a fantastic solution. Last weekend our talented musical friend brought us blueberry picking and it was just delightful. So, after securing the recipe for my very favorite blueberry pie from Mom, I headed off on Friday morning for another round of blueberry picking. Two hours and ten pounds of blueberries later I was on my way back home for the baking. Well, it's not baking really, but by 2pm I had three pies ready to go. When K got home and inquired where our pie was I whipped up another just for us - by that time I was a pro! They turned out to be a grand hit! And by the time the weekend was over I had the recipe memorized so it could be shared. So, if you want to try the best blueberry pie ever here it is:

Mom's Most Wonderful Blueberry Pie Ever!
One open-faced baked 9 inch pie crust.
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup honey
2 1/2 Tablespoons of cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoons of butter (optional for richness)

Simmer 1/2 the blueberries, the honey, cornstarch, and salt until the mixture becomes thick and translucent. If your going the rich route add the butter to the blue-goo mix. Then fold in the rest of the fresh blueberries. Now put the entire thing into the already-baked pie crust. Refriderate until cool and bring to a pot-luck or enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or dinner!

So it was a hit! And because I made that extra pie we did have blueberry pie for breakfast! And hey, why not?!? After all, it's more nutritious than any breakfast cereal you'll find out there!

1 comment:

ardi k said...

Yes ! ! ! Comments on my blog. Better with Organic Yogurt.